Account Login
Welcome to Our Ministry
 Marriage Laws

<--Virginia   | Vermont |   Washington -->

Vermont State Marriage Law & Information

Most counties in Vermont will require your official credentials to register

Vermont Marriage Law

Vermont Statutes

Vermont Statutes § 5144

Persons authorized to solemnize marriage

Marriages may be solemnized by a supreme court justice, a superior court judge, a district judge, a judge of probate, an assistant judge, a justice of the peace, an individual who has registered as an officiant with the Vermont secretary of state pursuant to section 5144a of this title, a member of the clergy residing in this state and ordained or licensed, or otherwise regularly authorized thereunto by the published laws or discipline of the general conference, convention, or other authority of his or her faith or denomination, or by such a clergy person residing in an adjoining state or country, whose parish, church, temple, mosque, or other religious organization lies wholly or in part in this state, or by a member of the clergy residing in some other state of the United States or in the Dominion of Canada, provided he or she has first secured from the probate court of the district within which the marriage is to be solemnized a special authorization, authorizing him or her to certify the marriage if such probate judge determines that the circumstances make the special authorization desirable. Marriage among the Friends or Quakers, the Christadelphian Ecclesia, and the Baha'i Faith may be solemnized in the manner heretofore used in such societies. (Amended 1965, No. 194, § 10, eff. Feb. 1, 1967; 1971, No. 22, eff. March 23, 1971; 1975, No. 1; 1979, No. 142 (Adj. Sess.), § 26; 1981, No. 113 (Adj. Sess.); 1999, No. 91 (Adj. Sess.), § 28; 2007, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)

The Vermont Guide to Civil Unions

Who may certify a Vermont civil union?

Civil unions may be certified by any of the following:

Marriage License Agency: County Clerk
Common Law: No
Civil Union: Yes
Duration of Marriage Licence: No Expiration

<--Virginia   | Vermont |   Washington -->

*** Information provided is for personal use only and is not meant to replace legal counsel. ***