Pennsylvania State Marriage Law & Information
Pennsylvania Marriage Law
Persons qualified to solemnize marriages
- General rule.--The following are authorized to solemnize marriages between persons that produce a marriage license issued under this part:
- A justice, judge or magisterial district judge of this Commonwealth.
- A former or retired justice, judge or magisterial district judge of this Commonwealth who is serving as a senior judge or senior magisterial district judge as provided or prescribed by law.
- An active or senior judge or full-time magistrate of the District Courts of the United States for the Eastern, Middle or Western District of Pennsylvania.
- An active, retired or senior bankruptcy judge of the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern, Middle or Western District of Pennsylvania who is a resident of this Commonwealth.
- An active, retired or senior judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit who is a resident of this Commonwealth.
- A mayor of any city or borough of this Commonwealth.
- A minister, priest or rabbi of any regularly established church or congregation.
- Religious organizations.--Every religious society, religious institution or religious organization in this Commonwealth may join persons together in marriage when at least one of the persons is a member of the society, institution or organization, according to the rules and customs of the society, institution or organization.
- Marriage license needed to officiate.--No person or religious organization qualified to perform marriages shall officiate at a marriage ceremony without the parties having obtained a marriage license issued under this part.
1990, Dec. 19, P.L. 1240, No. 206, § 2, effective in 90 days. Amended 2000, June 22, P.L. 443, No. 59, § 1, imd. effective; 2004, Nov. 30, P.L. 1618, No. 207, § 6, effective Jan. 31, 2005; 2004, Dec. 1, P.L. 1777, No. 232, § 1, effective Jan. 31, 2005.
Marriage License Agency: County Clerk
Common Law: No
Civil Union: No
Duration of Marriage Licence: 60 Days
- Pennsylvania State Legistature
- Pennsylvania State Attorney General
- Pennsylvania State Governor's Office
- Pennsylvania State Supreme Court
- Pennsylvania State Department of Health