Account Login
Welcome to Our Ministry
 Marriage Laws

<--Georgia   | Hawaii |   Iowa -->

Hawaii State Marriage Law & Information

Most counties in Hawaii will require your official credentials to register

Hawaii Marriage Law

NOTE: Hawaii requires this specialized Letter of Good Standing for minister registration.

Hawai‘i Revised Statutes

Licensing to Perform Marriages

HRS §572-12

By whom solemnized.

A license to solemnize marriages may be issued to, and the marriage rite may be performed and solemnized by any minister, priest, or officer of any religious denomination or society who has been ordained or is authorized to solemnize marriages according to the usages of such denomination or society, or any religious Society not having clergy but providing solemnization in accordance with the rules and customs of that society, or any justice or judge or magistrate, active or retired, of a state or federal court in the State, upon presentation to such person or society of a license to marry, as prescribed by this chapter. Such person or society may receive the price stipulated by the parties or the gratification tendered.

[CC 1859, §1285; RL 1925, §2950; am L 1929, c 104, §6; RL 1935, §4640; RL 1945, §12361; RL 1955, §323-12; HRS §572-12; am L 1969, c 19, §2; am L 1974, c 15, §1]

Licensing of Marriage Performers in the State of Hawaii

Licenses to perform marriages are issued by the State Department of Health under Hawaii Revised Statute 572-12.

Individuals interested in becoming licensed marriage performers should read the following information carefully to determine which procedures they must follow in order to be granted a license. Should you have any questions call the Health Department at (808) 586-4540.

Applying for a License to Perform Marriages in Hawai‘i

The Current Registration Section of the Vital Records office is responsible for the licensing of marriage performers.

If there are any questions, please call the Current Registration Section at (808) 586-4540.

Marriage License Agency: Department of Health
Common Law: No
Civil Union: No
Duration of Marriage Licence: 30 Days

<--Georgia   | Hawaii |   Iowa -->

*** Information provided is for personal use only and is not meant to replace legal counsel. ***